I’m not so great at writing about myself, so here are some bullet points:
- I use both a Windows desktop (Windows 10!) and a mid-2012 Macbook Pro (Mac OS Sierra!). I don’t really prefer one over the other, and not sure why people keep pushing Macs to artsy people. I grew up with a Windows computer, so I tend to feel more at home with it, but Mac OS has a lot of quirks that I like (Spaces, the dock, the UNIX-based environment) and actually prefer more as a developer. Use what works best for YOU.
- I’m an ex-Windows Phone user (Lumia 735), currently using an iPhone 8 Plus. If Microsoft had actually decide to develop it further, I would’ve stuck with Windows Phone, since I was already used to the OS. Android wasn’t that hard to learn for me (though since I never used an activated Android phone, I never used it for things like calls, SMS and email, iPhone was more familiar to me since I already have an iPad and iPod Touch.
- I was born in Santa Monica and grew up in Ventura County.
- I’ve been drawing since I was little (a lot of horses, and guinea pigs. But mostly guinea pigs).
- I’ve had guinea pigs since I was eight. About 10 years ago, I learned that there is a LOT more to having guinea pigs than having a little starter cage from the pet store, a bowl of pellets and lettuce or an entire carrot a day. Oh yes, a LOOOT more.
- …and then volunteering at the local animal shelter with the bunny group has taught me a lot about bunnies (not a bunny slave though….yet?).
- I also foster short-term for several guinea pig rescues in Southern CA.
- Fostering and volunteering for homeless animals at a shelter that is more often than not overcrowded* has made me a big proponent of adopting over breeding/buying from a pet store. If you’re looking for a particular breed of dog, there are breed-specific rescues. Also a reputable rescue will insure that you’re bringing home a healthy pet.
*Our shelter is no-kill! Unfortunately, a big reason why it’s so full.
- When I got into high school, I got into building websites. It first started with Yahoo’s drag-and-drop Pagebuilder editor on Geocities, and when I desired more control and precision over the appearance of my page, I took up HTML and then CSS. The rest is history.
- I hold in my hot little hand a Bachelor of Arts from CSU Channel Islands.
- I am relearning Spanish. I took it in college for a semester about 9 years ago, but did not pass the first time, so had to take it again. This time, I’m using Duolingo along with their flash cards app, Tiny Cards. People ask me “why Spanish?” Well, I don’t think I’ll run into a situation where I might need it, though you never know. Mostly because the US is a multicultural nation and I think everyone here should know at least one other language (Spanish, German, Japanese, Mandarin, etc). (I did take a semester of Japanese in high school, and it was a nightmare. D: As a native English speaker, I think Spanish will be easier for me, with both languages being from the same language family.)